Monday, November 16, 2009

VERONICA VISITS THE GYPSY

Hi Veronica, the Cricut Instructor here ~ Many of you have been asking me if I have a Gypsy yet and what I think of it. Well, no I don't have one, but I got to use it today and so far, I think it is really cool.
For those of you who have NO IDEA what I am talking about, the Gypsy is a new tool for the Cricut machine that allows you to work on projects pretty much anywhere, then take it back to your Cricut machine and cut away! Imagine something that looks like a Palm Pilot but acts like the Cricut Design Studio -- computer software that lets you design personalized die cuts, titles and even word books.
It still works with Cricut artridges, except now you load all your cartridges onto the Gypsy first. And you can only actually cut with the cartridges you own -- but you can design with all the cartridges which is a great way to see which cartridges you actually want to buy.
Anyway, I still think it is an expensive toy at between $249 and $299. But I imagine it will come down in price eventually. But the possibilities are immense, and since it isn't computer based you aren't hindered by a slow computer like mine.
Here are two things that I whipped together this morning:

This Santa was made with the Jumbo letters from Lyrical Letters merged with a Santa hat from Joys of the Season. One of the best benefits of the Design Studio or the Gypsy is being able to weld letters together and one them as one piece.

This is a recipe divider from From My Kitchen with the meat category welded on top. I am looking forward to playing with that cartridge some more, too.
Amy has a Gypsy at the store and she has already loaded all her cartridges onto it. So we can demonstrate what it can do. She can order them, too. And yes, I am contimplating designing a class on the Gypsy sometime soon.
I hope to get to play with the Gypsy more this weekend, so look for more pictures soon! ~ Veronica Rosman

1 comment:

Jessica said...

my mom has a gypsy (got it from PC for free!) and she says she can't use it b/c she can't see the screen. that being said, my sister is borrowing it and LOVES it, almost as much as sure cuts a lot. however, she still loves sure cuts a lot more...